Sasara Kusugawa Valkyrie Armor Project

When Volks announced last December that they were re-releasing Dollfe Dream Sasara Kusugawa from ToHeart2 I was hoping that they would release her Valkyrie version. Since they didn’t, I did it myself 😉

Untitled

I patterned & created the armor from scratch over the past few weeks. Everything was made to fit the DDdy3 body perfectly but still have flexibility to move & pose the doll. There are a few things I want to edit (the way the skirt hangs bugs me and the white sleeves aren’t puffy enough >_<") and I do plan on making her shield & halberd later this summer.

(Blurry horrible photo of the patterning process LOL)

For pieces that I needed to be perfectly fitted I wrapped the body part in cling film, then covered that in masking tape, drew the shape I needed onto the tape and cut it off. I then transferred the design onto paper.
Untitled

For curved pieces I had to cut darts to accommodate that extra thermoplastic would be needed to create the same shape.
Untitled

The armor is made using Worbla. Worbla looks like this before priming. It’s a thermoplastic that’s infused with glue so it bonds to itself. I
didn’t need to use any kind of special adhesives to make the filigree details adhere to the armour.

This was my first time using Worbla and I found it extremely easy to work with and very forgiving. If I stepped away and noticed the details weren’t symmetrical I could reheat it and nudge the Worbla “noodle” with a tool (I used an embossing tool/ nail art dotting tool).
Sasara armor progress

I used aluminium foil to protect the doll parts from my heat gun – and also to prevent glue residue from sticking to the doll while the Worbla was heated. It looks like I’m baking weird cookies 😛 For things like the shoulder armor and the foot armor I did a bit of free-form sculpting using aluminium foil to get the shape I wanted before shaping the Worbla directly on top.

Sasara armor progress

Worbla has a bit of texture to it, which is why you should prime it and then sand it to get a nice smooth finish. Thank goodness for my rotary tool and my dust eater fan (LOL – I use these for my nails usually! Good to have another purpose for these tools!) It took between 5-12 layers of gesso to get a workable surface for sanding. I was literally waiting for paint to dry @_@”

Everything was then painted with Vallejo acrylic model paints. (The same stuff Volks recommends for their model kits and Chara-gumin kits now). I like that it’s water-based & non-toxic, and extemely pigmented. Sometimes one coat was all I needed for complete coverage, which is amazing. With craft store paints I always need 2-3 coats! I was working on a deadline so not waiting for paint to dry was really helpful. Vallejo doesn’t make the exact blue I needed for most of the armor so I had to mix small batches at a time as I went. Since the paint dispenses in drops it was quite easy to measure out what I needed.

I used their Liquid Gold paint to get the beautiful metallic finish. It’s a non-toxic alcohol based paint that required constant stirring to keep the pigment particles in suspension but I’ve never found a more beautiful gold paint!

I sprayed everything with Mr. Super Clear sealant, but then went back to touch up the gold with a gloss varnish because the sealant mattified the metal paint >__<"

Here are all the armor pieces – everything is separate because I wanted the doll to still be able to move and pose.

Special thank yous to Puppy52 (chun) for helping me find the perfect fabric to use for the bodysuit & to xoHimitsuox for reference pics of the back of the armor and the late night motivation!

I’m so pleased to have won 2nd place in the 1:3 category at the Doll North doll masquerade yesterday! (1st place went to a beautiful recreation of Sesshoumarou from Inuyasha.) I wasn’t expecting to win anything – I just wanted to show her off and spread the Dollfie Dream love!

I’m still recovering from convention exhaustion. When I dump the photos off my camera I’ll share some better photos of the armor.

– ♥ Archangeli

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Sasara Kusugawa Valkyrie Armor Project

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s